Share the Pennies is a bill round-up program that provides grants to low-income homeowners to make energy efficiency repairs to reduce energy consumption in their homes.
Example: If your utility bill is $113.50, it will be rounded up to $114 and a 50-cent donation will be made to MIFA to fund the Share the Pennies Weatherization Assistance Program (see below).
All customers are enrolled in the Share the Pennies round-up program unless they choose not to participate. To opt out of Share the Pennies enrollment:
- Click Opt In/Out button and submit the Opt Out form (must have a social security number on file with MLGW).
- Call 544-6549 (MLGW), press 1 – 2 – 6 – 2 and follow the prompts or speak with a Service Advisor.
- Speak with an Advisor at any MLGW Community Office.
- Download the MLGW app on your mobile device: ow.ly/SL0TB (Android) and ow.ly/LpE9Y (iOS)
The Share the Pennies Weatherization Assistance Program provides grants to low-income homeowners for weatherization improvements.
Eligible repairs include:
- Attic insulation and attic stair door replacement
- Broken window replacement
- Exterior door replacement (where there is a penetration)
- Repair of gas and water leaks
- Exterior wall penetrations
- Interior floor penetrations (homes not on a slab)
- HVAC duct repair or replacement
- HVAC repair/maintenance
- Water heater repair or replacement
- Weather stripping around doors or windows
- Must be 18 years or older to apply
- Must be a homeowner who lives in Shelby County
- Home must be listed in your name
- Must live in the home to be repaired
- Must be current on previous year's City and County property taxes for the home you live in
- Must meet income guidelines based on Federal Poverty levels
- MLGW utility account must be in your name, with no bad debt or diversion of services within the last seven years
Visit mifa.org/sharethepennies for more information.